General Membership Meeting of the Vernon Placer Miners Club
Met May 3, 2022 at the Hall at 1204 30th Ave, Vernon BC. President Gerry Morrison opened the meeting at 7:00 PM. Note-taker was Cal Olsson. 10 members attended the meeting. The minutes of the last meeting were reviewed and were considered by a show of hands to be too outdated to be useful at this time.
Thanks to the church Elders for the show of good faith, letting us meet here again! You know what good faith is? Good faith is faith in your fellow man/woman and the goodness of the Higher Power.
- Old Business Arising out of Last Meeting’s Minutes:
- Since our last meeting was March3, 2019 any old business would be ancient business; instead we’ll look forward to new business.
- Kurt Inglis emails from city of Enderby about seacan container.
- Membership Report by Donna Smith.
- 22 families are currently paid up members in good standing.
- 14 Life timers in good standing
- 1 Honorary members in good standing.
- There is a common dues due date of October first. Dues are $20.00 per year per family, Oct. to Oct.
Treasurer’s Report by Donna Smith
Income………. $______________ Expenses………..$__________ Balance…$_____________, Adopted by a show of hands
- BC Open Report by President
Gerry Morrison moved we not have a BC Open Gold Panning Championship this year, instead concentrating on having one next spring in 2023. Seconded by Bernie Klewchuk. Discussed, voted on and passed.
President Morrison suggested instead of the usual business format we have a discussion instead of the upcoming things we need to deal with to get moving again as per our mission statement.
- Waiting to hear back from Enderby about seacan modification to crystallize what we need to do, if anything.
- Took stock of what we have, where located and what we are probably going to need to do 2023 B.C.Open. The discussion was interesting, for example; what would be nice to know is if someone attending the BC Open (a club event), say, is covered by the club insurance if they are not a club member?
- Donna said we are aging or bleeding out and before we are completely drained we should get some new young blood. We discussed ways and means we could use to get youth and new members interested.
- Discussed whether insurance may not be enough and what can we afford, how much willing to risk, what is necessary etc.
Ken Montie gave a long and interesting talk about giving a talk and panning demonstration at the local school to hordes of grade four kids. They were studying about the Klondike gold rush. Ken and his whole family are a great asset to the VPM association. It fit in so well with the VPM association mission statement. Thanks Ken!
If you want to get away for-a-while on an outing you’re welcome to come on out to the Kettle River on May 22nd and help me prospect my placer claim. If you want to pull an overnighter there is a place to camp (it’s crown land) and call Rancid Crabtree at 250 766-4071 (has answering device, will call back) for directions etc. anyone and especially club members are welcome to come at your own risk. email@example.com
Social Convener’s Report by Donna Smith:
Best Wishes for a happy birthday for May 2022 go out to:
Bill Allan….Kim Creed….Sherie LaValley…..Sherry Knox….Ted Turner
In the last while two club members; friends, have died: Mrs. Barb Mathers and Mr. John Stelfox. Condolences go out to their families and neighbours!
Ken Montie won the nugget door prize,
The meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM.